Special Needs – Autism/ADHD/Anxiety
Having a son on the Autism spectrum gives me a unique capability as a realtor to understand the needs of those that are buying or selling a home.
When we purchased the home we are currently in, it was a difficult for my son to think about leaving the only home he has ever known. He loved his room, the layout of his room, the hum of the ceiling fan, the tree outside his window – it was all familiar and comfortable.
We were only moving across town and we took a few months to move, as we were having some work done to the new house.
One day, I had to go over to the new house to check on the progress of the flooring contractors. My boys and I walked into the new house and all the old flooring had been ripped up. I got the idea to get my son’s scooter out of the car and I brought it in the new house.
He started to ride it. He rode it up and down the hallways, raced around the living room and kitchen and made his way down to what would be his room. He went round and round the room with his scooter. I walked in and we started to talk about the new space. Where his bed was going to go, where his beloved legos were going to be stored…..all the things to consider.
He could start to see himself living there….and that was the turning point for him. For us.
Moving day was stressful, but we did it and more importantly, HE did it.
I may not be able to provide scooter rides in a new home for your family, but I will be there every step of the way to help all of you with your transition.
What ways can I help your family with special needs?
Beyond just having a realtor who understands your family and your child, there are practical ways to support you.
Selling : Having people in your home for viewings can be difficult and here are some special ways that I can help.
- If there is a specific time of day or days that does not work for your family, we will not allow showings on those days.
- We can tell potential buyers that they must give a certain amount of hours notice before showing. i.e. 3 hours before appointment
- Any other special considerations that you want!
Buying : Viewing homes can be fun and all the family is welcome to join in the process. If that doesn’t work for you, there are some other ways I can help your child.
- After previewing a home & making an offer, making another appointment so your child can have their own special viewing taking time to walk through the home and most importantly, their room!
- Helping you find local resources in your new neighborhood – doctors, therapists, schools as well as the fun things like parks and favorite restaurants!
- I will liaise with the listing agent with any other special requirements or needs you have!